Monday, April 24, 2006

Identity in Christ

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Think on it.

In Christ I am made perfect in His love; therefore, when I allow fear to control me I am not claiming the freedom I have in Christ. I am not claiming the perfect love He has given me.

Fear of love. In many respects, much of the fear comes from a fear of commitment. Love is a choice and grows out of commitment. We must choose to commit, thus we choose to love.

So much could be spoken on love, but I'll leave it at that.

Talk of where we come from...knowing your identity in Christ frees you to live without chains. Claiming the promises, claiming your identity, your new life... realizing that you no longer have bondage to your past--clearly, deliverance has come. Ask for it; it is yours! Do not live in the past--the lie that you must hold on. Lay it at the altar and take up the cross. Do not repeat history, renounce the curses, claim the freedom!

Today was a perfect reminder of everything the Lord's been doing in my life over the past few years. A new infrastructure, rebuilding from freshly laid foundations, discarding the old, uprooting the weeds, uncovering the lies, healing the heart, exploring the Life, living in freedom... wow, has He taken me miles or what? I cannot deny the transformation He has made in my life...nor can I be silent about it!

"Poughkeepsie" Over the Rhine

Then the skies, they fell open
and my eyes were opened
to a world of hope falling at my feet.
Now I've no more or less
than anyone else has,
what I have is a gift of life I can't repeat.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DUDE!! These are fun to read! Yes, it's the same stalker from your more recent blogs :D I want to walk in that freedom as well. He showed me this weekend about resting in the love He has..and what it meant for me is that I do not have to fear taking risks and failing. He will always LOVE me the same! YAY for that!

I agree with not living in the past. I do think that God will bring things up for the purpose of healing and restoration, and He definitely doesn't want us to be a "victim" of it any longer. Even if we were a victim then (and He understands that) He for sure doesn't desire that we be a "victim" of our future ya know! I am so thankful looking back at the things God has set me free from and how He continues to restore me!

That's all she wrote...Brown