Wednesday, June 10, 2009

book recommendation on marriage

In light of the fact that the number of my close friends (as well as acquaintances) who are married and getting married is beginning to exceed the number of my close friends who are still single, I decided to pick up a book called, The Mystery of Marriage, by Mark Mason. (a solid recommendation by David Grotheim...Thanks!) Hands down, this is the best book I've ever read on the topic of marriage. If you are considering reading a book on marriage, I highly recommend this book. Mason has such a way with words and such depth and insight.

No book has ever made me long for marriage more, nor has any book ever made me more sober minded about marriage and able to enjoy the season of singleness that I am currently living out.

Singleness is a gift. So is marriage. We mustn't regard one as better than the other. We must embrace the seasons that God has us in. In your singleness you learn to cling to HIM alone and to go deeper and deeper as you long for that companion.

I've asked several older married women about what I should take advantage of in my single years and the one thing they always tell me is: "your time with God".... "treasure it because you don't have to share that time with anyone right now...not a husband and not kids."

Pastor Ray always said, "Just when you think you can't die to yourself anymore, you get married. And then just when you think you can't die to yourself anymore you have children..."

Anyway, my point is, singleness may be hard at times, but the grass is always greener on the other side. We've got to learn how to be content no matter what side of the fence we are on... no matter the season God has us in.

Having a partner will not completely satisfy. Only God can. God could always take your partner in an instant and you'd have to know where your roots lie. They can't be in a person. They must be rooted in God. He is the only one who is unshakable.

So all you singles, enjoy the ride. Pursue God whole-heartedly and prepare yourselves for the next season.

Them's my 2 cents. I got more but I'll leave it at that.



http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Marriage-Meditations-Miracle/dp/1576737799

1 comment:

Mags said...

AMEN girl, i totally second you, both singleness and marriage are a gift.

i'm finding i am in the same boat as you and learning how to love and care for my marrieds in my life, my age and older, i'm picking up 'the sacred marriage', have you read that? i've heard very similiar things about it as it completely deconstructs marriage and then builds it back up. but its tagline is the purpose of marraige is to make you more holy not happy.

and will add this to the list, it sounds worth the read! love you girl